Molesworth 4WD Lead Vehicle Seat Tour
- Duration: 4 Days (approx.)
- Location: Amberley, North Canterbury
- Product code: P5JPUE
Molesworth 4WD Lead Vehicle Seat
ITINERARY DAY ONE (100km drive)
Meet with your co-driver at 8.15am at your accommodation in Blenheim before meeting other group members at the Blenheim Railway Station car park at 8.30am, short briefing and introductions. Your drive starts by taking the coastal route around the Wairau Lagoons with its interesting history and wonderful views to your first farm track drive, then another farm with a good track and great views overlooking the Awatere Valley and Pacific Coast. A pleasant surprise for morning tea awaits you then you head up the valley to a high country station for lunch and a guided tour with the owner around their beautiful property consisting of high country, vineyards and pine plantations. Saying good bye to drive to your overnight farm accommodation in the upper reaches of the Awatere Valley arriving about 5.30pm to settle in enjoy a few drinks and help prepare a BBQ.
DAY TWO (80km drive)
After helping to cook a hearty farm style breakfast we will set off around 9am to drive up the Grey River and explore the 35,000 acre station with the owner coming with us for the day. Morning driving includes river crossings, driving round spurs, through flat grassy expanses with a cuppa in a back country hut. The return route lets you enjoy the same country from a different perspective arriving back at the homestead for lunch. Back on the track again to drive along a ridge line up to a height of 5,000 feet with great back country views over neighbouring stations including Molesworth Station. Driving down from the heights back to the valley floor with a home cooked meal awaiting and stories of the day over drinks to while away the evening.
DAY THREE (140km drive)
After helping to cook breakfast it’s time to say goodbye and head toward Molesworth Station, passing Middlehurst and Muller Stations, explore the original Molesworth cob cottage then head south into Molesworth Station. Enjoy a picnic lunch at the old Acheron accommodation house surrounded by nature and the extensive hills. Driving into Hanmer Springs via Jollies Pass around 4.30pm with time to enjoy the thermal pools or shopping before drinks and dinner.
DAY FOUR (220km drive)
Departing at 9am and heading into the back country over Jacks Pass, stopping to enjoy the scenery at various vantage points and investigate the numerous alpine plants on the way to Lake Tennyson, where we will enjoy morning tea with an amazing back drop of mountain scenery. Highlights will include Island Saddle, the Tarndale Lakes, and Rainbow Station. Returning to Blenheim through the many vineyards that are creeping into the upper reaches of the Wairau Valley by 5.30pm.
ACCOMMODATION ON TOUR
First two nights are staying in shearer’s accommodation on a high country station in the Awatere Valley. You will have your own individual bedroom all linen is supplied. Bathroom facilities are shared, there is a good supply of hot water, two individual shower cubicles available off a large hand washing room and three toilets in another area, all are situated off a foyer area situated at one end of the building, there is a large kitchen, dining room and lounge for us to use. The third night is at Glenalvon Motels in Hanmer Springs ensuite rooms; it is situated across the road from the thermal pool complex. There are complimentary swimming pool towels in the foyer to take to the hot pools, we recommend if you want to enjoy the pools do so soon after arriving in Hanmer.
FOOD AND DIETRY REQUIREMENTS
Daily breakfasts are full cooked or continental style on the station and continental served in the dining room at Drifters Inn, two lunches are on farms with the owners and other lunches are picnic style enjoyed in the wide open spaces of the back country, evening meals are two courses, and tea breaks will be served from our onboard supplies of locally roasted plunger coffee or tea and home baking from the cake tins. BYO drinks for evening dining.
If you have any particular food allergies or tastes please let us know on your pre trip booking form.
Tours operate from January - April each year, we do have set departure dates which are posted on our website www.molesworthtours.co.nz on the individual tour pages or else the dates are included with your information pack. We can look at other dates for a minimum of four people.
- Accompany your own local experienced 4WD driver guide who will be keeping you up to date along the route.
- The chance to see five private farms and stations in the Awatere Valley
- Guaranteed access through Molesworth and Rainbow Stations
- Meet and spend time with local farmers
- A days driving on a high country property with the station owner
- Two night’s stay in authentic high country shearer’s accommodation.
- One night’s accommodation at the Drifters Inn in Hanmer Springs
- All meals for the four days
- Satellite phone and safety gear carried by lead vehicle
- Your role will be to travel in the lead vehicle with the tour leader so you will be in a prime seat with personal attention.
- To open any gates along the route
- To assist with unloading catering supplies from the lead vehicle each night
- To assist with cooking of a BBQ meal on the first night of tour.
- To assist with cooking 2 breakfasts in the shearers accommodation and loading lead vehicle with supplies each day
- To assist with morning tea setups during the day
WHAT TO BRING
- Warm clothing and suitable footwear for limited walking
- Swimming Gear for thermal pools in Hanmer-swimming pool towels will be provided
- Personal toilet gear and an extra blanket
- BYO Alcohol